Hardwood Floor Care
Newly Finished Hardwood Floor Care Recommendations:
- Please wait a minimum of 8 hours before walking on floors with stocking feet and 24 hours for shoes. This time may vary depending on the type of finish chosen. Please verify with our installation staff.
- Do NOT use cleaner on floors for one week.
- Protect your plants from water spills.
- Allow 48 hours for pets and furniture. Some dogs should wait 72 hours, depending on size and excitability.
- Allow 4-6 days before adding your area rugs. Use appropriate backing.
- Use a humidifier in conjunction with a furnace or air conditioning system to maintain relative humidity in the home at 30-50%. This will maintain the moisture in the wood and minimize cracks between the boards. Be careful with stand alone humidifiers/vaporizers as these do not disperse the water vapor well enough. Keep those at least at table height, instead of on the floor.
- Have your floors buffed and recoated every 2 to 3 years in high traffic areas and 3 to 5 years in areas of lower traffic.
- We recommend putting felt pads on the legs of all your furniture. Clean the glides periodically so grit does not get caught on them and replace as needed.
- Wipe up spills immediately with a damp cloth.
- Barrel type roller casters are better than ball casters which will cause damage. Avoid plastic casters. We recommend soft rubber replacement casters from http://www.castercity.com.
- Use dirt-trapping, walk-off mats at all exterior doors to help prevent dirt, grit and sand from getting inside on your floors. Throw rugs or small area rugs just inside the entrances are also helpful.
- Keep high heels in good repair. Heels that have worn down or lost protective caps, exposing the steel support rod in the heel can dent any floor surface.
- If you wish to damp wipe your floors, we recommend that you use Bona Hardwood cleaner, which we have at the store in Estes Park.
- Vacuum regularly using a brush attachment– NOT the rollerbrush. Dust mopping works well, but DO NOT use a household dust treatment on your mop as this may cause your floor to become slick or dull the finish. It can also leave a film that can impair bonding of future recoats.
- Use only no-rinse cleaners on your floors
- If you wish to damp wipe your floors, we recommend that you use the proper cleaning system (Bona Care Kit) available at our showroom (860 Dunraven St. in Estes Park)